Sunday, August 18, 2013

Home Again, Home Again

Wow. I've been home for several months now and have had a roller coaster ride. When I came home I had extreme fatigue. Unnatural fatigue. I would sleep for 13 hours, wake up for 2 hours, eat, take a 5 hour nap, wake up and be somewhat active until I drop asleep for the night again. This was not okay. Especially when I had gone from super active, working a ton to this sluggish not productive life. I couldn't help my sleepiness. My body wouldn't move. My mind wouldn't work. I was slipping into a depressive mood. I began to beat myself up for not being productive. I knew there had to be something wrong with me and despite multiple doctor visits no conclusion.

Finally, after multiple blood tests and changing doctors I received a diagnosis and a plan to become well again. The Diagnosis was... dun dun dun... Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Nutrition Deficiency. So I have been medicated, stabbed with needles, given a new diet, and a new sleep mandate. But the good news is that it's been two months since the diagnosis and following the plan. AND I'm doing a lot better. I still have those bad days of just needing a ton of sleep, but for the most part I can live a somewhat normal life.

In fact, I've been up in Provo and living pretty well as a college student. Working at the Freshman Mentoring program is about all I've been up to lately, but I will be starting classes this Fall semester. Hopefully I will continue to have more good days than bad and I can handle the stress of classes and work at the same time.

No comments: