Saturday, July 17, 2010

Belt Check

At the seat belt checking position (we affectionately call "Belt Check") there can be lots of drama. All I have to do in that position on the ride is see every person in that car pull their yellow straps on the seat belt, then I send the car. Unfortunately, the people in the Animal Kingdom aren't the smartest, or the most talented at listening and following directions, or the best at speaking English. So, the simple phrase, "pull on the yellow strap" needs to be elongated. "Row one...Pull on the yellow strap... on your seat belt... on the left hand side... your other left... yes that yellow strap... now pull on it... yes that strap, now pull... please pull on it... pull on it... give it a tug... THANK YOU!... Now row two..." For every row, on every car, when you finally get to send the car, another one just takes it's place. Then you have the guy on the end of the row closest to you that has to be funny about it. I have a flashlight in order to see into the seats easier because it's kinda dark in the station where the cars are. Attached to the flashlight is a yellow strap for demonstration. The wise guy on the end of the row always has to reach out to grab MY yellow strap. He'll say something like, "let me grab your strap" or "lean closer so I can grab yours" or he'll just reach out and grab my yellow strap. And sometimes when he grabs my yellow strap, he'll just yank it right out of my hand! ugh. These wise guys need a kick in the pants... okay that's really harsh. but they're messin' with MY yellow strap. I'm very possessive of it.

Along with checking the seat belts we also have the choice to warn the guests they might lose their belongings, or not. If they have a hat or sunglasses on the top of the head we advise them to take them off and store them in the pouch in front of them. If they have a bag it should be placed in the pouch, not on your lap, or in the seat next to you, or on the floor in between your legs... in the pouch!!! I've seen way too many people lose hats, bags, cameras, sunglasses, cell phones, water bottles, and park maps because they trust they can hold onto them. BUT they can't! Once, when I was checking a car they all had bags on the floor. So, being the nice girl I am, I told them to put the bags in the pouch. I don't think the two ladies in the first row spoke any English because I just got blank stares. SO, I pointed at the bags at their feet and then pulled the pouch open and pointed inside the pouch. I turned around to send the car. I looked back and saw their feet in the pouch... I just about died of laughter, then sent the car. I didn't try to tell them any different. I laughed for a long time, and had to tell everyone what they did. It was AWESOME! haha :) best EVER!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin - I LOVE YOUR POSTS! I get the biggest kick out of stuff like this! It's so dang funny to read (and hear about) stuff like that at different odd jobs. I can just imagine you dealing with the wise guy at the end of the row who yanks your yellow strap out of your hand - You patiently pick it back up for the umpteenth time and all with a smile on your face, while clenching your teeth inside your mouth! I love it.

Josh has some nuggets too since starting work at the theater. My personal fave is the one where, on a random Saturday, during the cleaning of the theaters throughout the day, they collected 7 cell phones, 4 wallets and one chew toy for a baby and deposited them in the lost and found. At the end of the day, the only thing that had been picked up was the chew toy! :) haha - that's awesome - shows you how important those toys are to the babies! :)

calmrapids said...

I love the feet in the pouch! I wonder what they were thinking! "Why are our feet up here?" Does that keep us safe from the Dinosaurs?"

Anyway-- I love your Dr. Seuss quotes too! Love love love them!

Caitlin & Michael Applegarth said...

hahaha this is so funny!!! o people are so dumb and hilarious sometimes, and that's what i think makes things fun! that's definitely not proper grammer, but that's exactly what i'm talking about - now this 'comment' is funny cause it's dumb :)