Monday, March 15, 2010

Star Light, Star Bright

I have an obsession. This obsession isn't a bad obsession. It's an obsession that is a satisfactory love of learning about the unknown, especially the stars, and the beauty that God created for us to enjoy.

My most favorite manifestation of beauty, I think, is the stars. Aren't they just BEAUTIFUL! Looking up above your head and seeing the amazing lights in patterns in the sky... just amazing.



When at my family reunion up in the mountains, there isn't as much light pollution so the stars are so bright and many many more can be seen than in a big city. I can remember walking with my Dad one night and just looking at the vast beauty in the sky. We talked about the creation of Earth and the Heavens. The amount of knowledge that must have been used to make such beauty. Our conversation was short, but had a profound impact on me. This was one of the last nights I was going to see my dad for a while, because I was starting my first semester at college in a few days. I was comforted with the fact that he'd see the same stars I was going to see.

My first semester at college I took an astronomy class. I gained an even deeper appreciation for the creation of the Heavens and the Earth. I learned constellation names and the formation process the universe went through. That class was a safe haven for me during a hard time in my life. I knew that corruption of man could not destroy the beauty in the Heavens.



That class was over a year ago. Passing by the planetarium always reminds me of that class I took, and I still love looking at the stars in the night sky. This semester I had the opportunity to go back up to the planetarium to see a star show. This was a random crazy spur of the moment thing... kinda. I had just met this cute guy. We had been hanging out at my apartment for a few hours. My roommate had wanted to ask this other boy out, and needed someone to double with. She brought this up infront of this guy I was chatting with. I told her I would double with her but needed a guy to go with. I turned to the guy sitting next to me and before I had finished asking him to go with me, he had excitedly said YEAH! (remember, this is within hours of meeting this boy.) Two weeks later we actually went on the date. This date was to the planetarium to see stars! We saw the stars and the universe on LSD. HaHa, it was a good day. Then we went to eat ice cream at the Creamery. That boy, is now my boyfriend. (I think I had him hooked from the first time I talked to him, bahahaha)



So over all, I love stars... and would love to lay on a blanket and watch the night sky.

I got the images from this site:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/09/09/science/0909HUBBLE_index.html

2 comments:

calmrapids said...

I LOVE those images. And I've always loved the night sky. One of the main reasons that I would like to live in the country is so I could see more stars at night.

Anonymous said...

Hi ClearAire!!

I just found you through your mom's quilting blog - I didn't know you blogged - why didn't you tell me??? :)

So happy to have found yet another awesome blog to stalk.

When ya' comin' over again?? We loved having you - bring the boyfriend and let's have a BBQ!