Tuesday, January 8, 2013

January in Vermont

SO! this past week has been a huge roller coaster. Thursday I was in Burlington, Vermont... on exchange with Sis. Peterson. She and I were companions for about two weeks when I was in Newport Maine right before Sister Rykowski left. We had such a good time together! We visited several people. Did service in the bike shop where they get old bikes and refurbish them to sell to low income families. I watched them de-assemble bikes then re-assemble them with better parts! And they look as good as new! And it's run on volunteers, only 3 paid staff and the rest is just a bunch of people trying to do a 'good turn daily.' I went to the Lake Champlain chocolate factory and got some very tasty chocolates. And met a crazy man. His tongue looked like a snake. gross.

We found several new investigators this last week. One family, the Fleury family, is pretty cool. We came in and had a great time singing Christmas carols a few weeks ago, and we visited them again this week and we offered to teach them our basic beliefs. they agreed and now we will begin teaching them. Hopefully sooner rather than later. We are also teaching Josh now as well. He is a roommate of a less active we see frequently. He is a singer so all of our lessons are around songs and he is beginning to understand the importance of having a relationship with God.

I met the most outlandish couple this week! He is a hardcore biker and the she is an exotic dancer. He has been coming to church for the past few Sundays, and she's still working on coming. They want God in their lives more fully. She made a promise with God, that if they were able to make their rent she would go to church. Well, they made rent, and he is making her keep her promise and is gonna start getting her to come to church with him. She walked in the church this past Sunday, but didn't stay. She'll stay next Sunday. Hopefully.

It was snowing a TON last week, but this week it seems to be slowing down.

2 comments:

Dickey Berry Photography said...

Great to read about some of your experiences Sis. Merrell:)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Nan Petersen here. So great to have found your blog. I look forward to reading more!